It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: USMC Weapons Platoon
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:08 pm 
Lieutenant

Should they appear in a scenario, I submit the following.

MG Section
3 Squads of 2 Teams
Each Team 1 M-240G 7.62mm Machine Gun and three Marines.
Teams generally deployed in pairs.

Assault Section
3 Squads of 2 Teams
Each Team 1 Mk-153 83mm SMAW and two Marines.
Teams generally deployed in pairs.

Mortar Section
3 Squads of 1x M224 60mm and three Marines.

The USMC Rifle Company's inherent Weapons Platoon consists of three separate and distinct sections, the Machine Gun Section, the Assault Section, and the Mortar Section.

The base unit of the Machine Gun Section the Machine Gun Team, each of which consists of three Marines, a Gunner and Assistant Gunner, and an Ammunition Man. The armament includes 1x 7.62mm M-240G Medium Machine Gun, and 2x M-16A2.

Two MG Teams, add a Machine Gun Squad Leader, make up a Machine Gun Squad. MG Squads are the base tactical unit, the smallest unit employed tactically. They are always deployed in pairs.

Three Machine Gun Squads, add a Machine Gun Section Leader, make up the Machine Gun Section. A total of 6x MG and 22 Marines.

The Machine Guns are employed in general support of the company, or more often attached out to the Rifle Platoon - one squad per platoon.

The Assault Sectionconsists of 3 Assault Squads. The base unit of a Assault Squad is the Assault Team. The Assault Team is 2 Marines, a Gunner and Assistant Gunner/Ammunition Man, and an Mk-153 SMAW.

Two Assault Teams make up a Squad, three Squads, plus a Section Leader, make up a Section. 13 Marines total.

Assault Squads are generally attached out to the rifle platoons - 2x Mk-153's each. In "Ambush Alley" terms, you should see an Assault Squad in Direct Support of of a Rifle Squad.

The Mortar Section consists of three M224 60mm Mortars. Each Mortar Squad of three men has a mortar, Gunner, Assistant Gunner, and an Ammunition Man. The mortars are typically kept in General Support of the company, however, the M224 can be direct-fired. There is a small assault base plate and asbestos glove. In Ambush Alley terms, you could find a mortar squad moving, in the assault mode, in direct support of a rifle squad, although I feel it would be an unlikely appearance in the game.

OfflineProfileSend private message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:17 pm 
AAG Co-Director

Thanks for the info, Pete!

"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:19 pm 
Lieutenant

Thanks Shawn,

One clarification, if not already obvious, gunners carry M9 Pistol, not used in AA, and assistant gunners and ammo men carry M-16/M-4's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:06 am 
Private First Class

For pistols you could allow the user to fire out to a maximum range of his quality die.

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:26 am 
Lieutenant

The gunner would only resort to his pistol either when his machine gun, or other crew-served weapon was out of ammunition, or when the enemy got in real close preventing that weapon from being effectively employed.

I'll have to check through the rules. I do not believe that ammunition is addressed, and I'll need to re-read the close assault mechanics within the rule set.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:13 am 
AAG Co-Director

There are Fog of War cards that address ammunition shortages - but you never run out, you just lose a quality die to represent a reduced volume of fire.

"I don't wanna be remembered as the guy who died because he underestimated the threat posed by a monkey."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:23 am 
Lieutenant

The possibility of a crew-served weapon running out of ammunition could be an interesting, yet hopefully rare, FOW Card. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:40 pm 
Lieutenant

I don't believe that I ever made this clear, but at the fire team level, you might have a Assault Team (two Marines, one SMAW) or a Machine Gun Team (three Marines and one M-240G 7.62mm).

If playing a Rifle Squad, its plausible to have either or both an Assault Squad (4 Marines and two SMAWs) and a Machine Gun Squad (six Marines and two medium MG's).

Apparently they arrive via Asset Card, and should be nice to replicate with the appropriate figures. Also to be able to include them in home-brewed scenarios.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]